Brand recognition through user-generated content is a top priority for business owners to boost website traffic, improve brand awareness and convert more users. These can be comments, reviews, or experiences users share about a business online.
But what if the content they share is too sensitive, bad, or inappropriate to be published? In this case, content moderation came to the rescue.
It helps you filter spammy or bad reviews and keep your reputation intact.
In this blog, you will learn more about content moderation, how it works, and the top APIs you can use for content moderation.
Let’s get started.
What is Content Moderation?
Content moderation is the process of screening online platforms and monitoring user-generated content based on platform-specific rules and regulations to decide whether or not the content should be published on the channel.
For instance, when a user uploads material to a website, the content will go through a moderating procedure to ensure it abides by the company’s policies and is not unlawful, improper, harassing, etc.
This is how it works:
A human moderator who has been trained to weed out inappropriate content can carry out this procedure manually.
Alternatively, AI platforms can carry out this task automatically for accurate content moderation.
A combination of manual and automated content moderation is usually used for better and faster results.
Benefits of content moderation
Brand and user protection
- As content moderation assists in screening improper and abusive content, it also protects the brand from negatively affecting and also permits maintaining positive user interaction.
- It also protects the brand’s reputation and the user from falling victim to fake and unauthorized content.
Improve buyer process
- Customers increasingly find traditional techniques like videos, banner ads, and other forms like pop-ups to be irritating.
- Potential customers approve of the brand and choose to purchase from it after reading other online customer reviews and referrals.
- Moderated user-generated material can effectively boost customer behavior and the buying process.
Improve brand visibility
- Product reviews and website traffic can both be enhanced by moderated user-generated content.
- When consumer involvement is high, the search engine will respond positively, and this will reflect on the brand’s exposure.
- Evaluating marketing campaigns enables a company to eliminate unproductive strategies and create an overall approach to enhance revenue.
- Metrics from social media are essential for assessing marketing standards.
- The greatest way to access marketing analytics is through the posts, comments, and retweets made by businesses on social media sites like Twitter, Facebook, and others.
- Content moderators are primarily responsible for reviewing the content for errors and inaccuracies in compliance.
Enhance customer relationship
- By reading positive feedback and viewing the posts and comments of other happy customers, consumers are more likely to trust a product or service and keep using it.
- Promoting customer interaction can help businesses become more productive by connecting them with other potential customers by allowing them to see how consumers are benefited.
- Content moderators should closely monitor the responses in interactions to avoid mistakes and miscommunications.
- The best way to understand the end users is by collecting feedback and review on their purchase or service experience.
- Moderators can connect with users by offering personalized replies, allowing companies to better understand the customer experience and their needs while also attracting new consumers.
Types of content moderation
Pre-moderation of content is manually performed, and moderators screen, filter, and review each piece of user-generated content before it is published on the site.
The moderator can use this method to choose whether to post, reject, or edit the content to make it more appropriate for the website.
This procedure can assist publishers in releasing highly relevant, risk-free material; but due to the content filtering process, it can take quite some time to get it on the website.
This process involves the material being published, and the moderation process occurs after it has gone live. The moderator checks the online material for problems and promptly notifies the author so they may fix it or remove it from the site.
This method benefits users as they can access content instantly. As the material is published without being reviewed in this post-moderation process, there is a greater chance that errors may be noticed by users and can have a negative impact on the company.
Reactive moderation is based on the responses of the customers. Customers who see inappropriate information on the website can report or flag it. The report buttons on your website or customer support requests can be used in this method.
Although it is a powerful tool, it can only be used effectively in conjunction with one of the other methods of moderation.
This form of community moderation is slower as it goes live before screening and remains online with errors until found by your community and someone feels compelled to flag the incorrect content.
This strategy depends on voting systems, with highly voted content appearing at the top of the screen and less voted content hidden or removed.
You can enable the option of granting voting privileges to all users or to a select group of VIP users who have been chosen by the community or site owner.
This distributed moderation helps companies improve to a higher level as communities grow increasingly involved, and the correlation between your business and the community’s view of your quality content can be clearly assessed.
Automated content moderation
An automatic method screens the words in the content for restricted content, and it either bans or highlights it so that the manual operators can choose whether to remove or modify it.
An expert in moderation and business trends must set this filter. This filter must have periodic reviews to confirm that the rules upon which they are built are latest and accurate.
Machine learning can simplify the process by utilizing an algorithm to learn from data and produce more complex conclusions in less time. This sometimes needs regular monitoring and adjustment, so keep your moderators around for close monitoring.
Top APIs for content moderation
- Hive moderation
Hive moderation provides content moderation for WEBP, live streams, images, videos, gifs, and audio.
More than 25 model classes are included in this API suite, including Visual: NSFW, drugs, violence, hate, characteristics, and demography language that contains sexual content, violence, bullying, hate speech, and spam.
- AssemblyAI’s Content Moderation API
AssemblyAI is a voice recognition firm that provides speech-to-text and audio intelligence. Its API can find references to alcohol, drugs, profanity, and other sensitive content in the text that has been transcribed from audio or video content.
The Content Moderation API provides a confidence score and severity score along with transcriptions for sensitive content that is identified. AssemblyAI also provides APIs for text summarization, emotion analysis, entity detection, PII redaction, and other tasks.
- Azure Content Moderator
Another well-known Automatic speech recognition and Natural language processing solution is Microsoft Azure. In addition to other services like images, text, and video moderation, Azure provides human and automated labor for improved moderation.
This API detects harmful and inappropriate images, filters profanity and offensive language, and moderates adult and racy video content. Azure also provides a trial service so users may test out the range of services.
- Amazon Rekognition
In addition to offering a wide range of NLP services, Amazon Rekognition API also offers content moderation for text, audio, and video review. This API can identify objects, people, text, scenes, and activities in photographs and videos that you give.
Users will get labels for sensitive or irrelevant content along with an appropriate confidence score when using the Amazon Rekognition API.
- DeepAI’s Content Moderation API
This content moderation API scans texts for offensive or sensitive language and flags them accordingly. To help people get started fast, the company offers clear instructions and documentation. Their website allows users to explore AI or NLU/NLP topics and also research DeepAI’s most recent news and datasets.
Pattr is a hybrid human-AI community platform that manages multiple online channels, promotes community growth, and makes fraud detection easier. Every post and comment is automatically identified and categorized.
It also protects your team, audience, and brand from toxicity, spam, and unwanted behavior across your social media interactions. Along with identifying frauds, spam, and bots for quick corrections, it also offers 24/7 support against abuse, harassment, and toxic behavior.
Businesses are now choosing to adapt content moderation to filter out inappropriate posts that can be offensive, contain harassment, violent threats, or irrelevant content.
AI now instantly detects and labels offensive or improper content that is live on social media sites. The flagged content can be easily deleted or corrected by quickly assigning it to your smart moderation team.
Businesses are now moving to a smarter phase by implementing content moderation
APIs in detecting errors and improve the quality of content, thereby enhancing their business.
How can NeoITO help?
We have experts who create unique content moderation APIs for optimizing your website content and activities and boosting website traffic. Contact us to discuss developing a high-performing solution for your company.
What does content moderation mean?
Content moderation is a method of monitoring and filtering user-generated contributions, such as images, videos, and articles, using a specified set of criteria and parameters to evaluate whether the communication is suitable or not.
What are examples of content moderation?
Content moderation is the process of editing or removing offensive content from online media platforms. For example, when you upload a video or short to YouTube, it is subjected to a content moderation check to see whether there are any abusive or inappropriate comments in the content.
Why is Content Moderation Important for Your Business?
Businesses require content moderation because it monitors and notifies them of improper information that is live on their social media platforms. Thus, there is a decreased likelihood that prospective customers will read any risky contents. It both encourages high-quality material and protects the company from losing customers.
What are some good content moderation APIs?
- Some of the best content moderation APIs are Hive Moderation, AssemblyAI’s Content Moderation API, Azure Content Moderator, Amazon Rekognition, DeepAI’s Content Moderation API, Pattr.io